If a life insurance policy is no longer needed, no longer wanted, or no longer affordable it might be a great time to sell. Your life insurance policy might be worth more than its cash surrender value.
Do not lapse or surrender your life insurance policy until you understand if it’s worth more.
Reasons to consider selling:
- The premiums are no longer affordable
- The need to replace lost income in case of death of the insured no longer exists
- The need for funds to pay estate taxes no longer applies
- There is a need for resources to pay for health expenses and long term care
- A term policy may be reaching the end of the coverage period
- Funds are wanted to improve a retirement lifestyle
Alternatives to selling a policy:
The sale of a life policy is not for everyone.
- Keep the policy in force through a loan or use of the cash surrender value
- Seek an accelerated death benefit, if available
- Assign the policy as a gift or charitable contribution
- Convert a term policy to permanent insurance
- Reduce the death benefit with a lower face value and lesser premiums
- Lapse or surrender the policy
Anyone considering a life settlement should first talk with their insurance, financial and/or legal advisor to explore all legal, tax and other consequences from selling their policy.
Do I Qualify?
Consumers were paid over $750 Million by LISA Members for the sale of their unwanted life insurance policies
On May 3, the Life Insurance Settlement Association (LISA) released findings from its 2021 Annual Market Data Collection Survey. The data collected represents summary closing…
The Evolution of Regulations that have Benefited the Consumer
The life settlement industry was born in 1911 when Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. and his fellow justices ruled that life insurance is…
Combating Inflation with Life Settlement Earnings
Everything is getting more expensive these days. Gas prices are higher, food prices are higher, used car prices are higher—it seems like nothing right now…
How Did Insurance Policy Owners Earn $848 Million in 2020?
It’s true—according to “The Life Settlements Report” released by The Deal, 3,241 people sold their life insurance policies in 2020 for a combined total of…